Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 21, 2009 - Millienum Park - Chicago Illinois


Back in Chicago – well almost - headed into Chicago this afternoon – to visit with my niece – her father, my brother is in town and I haven’t gotten my mail in four months. I returned from the Lake and shaved my head. When I looked at my head on my 61st birthday (two months ago) I could see my scalp – hair getting thin – better none that spotty – so I’ve been growing a beard – and now it’s looking good – so I shaved my head an hour ago and it feels strange – gee I look like my father. I'll take the META downtown from Homewood – runs every other hour on Sunday. Due to get in at Millennium Station (Below Millennium Park) at about 3 this afternoon.

The final and most revolting injustice is consummated when poverty is wed to the life without hope – Albert Camus
-
Getting over the blahs again
I awoke in slow time
In homogeneous time
Time without division
     Or addition

Exponnetial time
It was all one – that 59
      Ford Galaxy and the 47
      Chevy pick-up
Could as well have
       Been the Astrovan
Just a jar of jellybeans
Such a grab bag of time
Any flavor will do
Just don’t make me decide

I cling like a miser to the freedom that disappears as soon as there is an excess of things – Albert Camus

So how much did the Slum Dog Millionaire win in US dollars – one million rubees is about $20,000

Lifting dumbbells is not a hobby. It is a confession of subservience, not an assertion of freedom – Aldo Leopold

The greater the urge
The more it needs
    Resisting
Sit still
And when urged
To remain calm
    Get up
    And run
One needs be
A contrarian
To achieve
     Anything
At all

Powers do not have to show it. Power is confident, self-assuring, self-starting and self-stopping, self-warming and self-justifying. When you have it; you know it – Ralph Elllison


Words lie intermediate – forming a relationship, between the specific and the general

Remember you don’t have to be a complete fool, in order to succeed. Play the game, but don’t believe in it – that much you owe yourself… Play the game, but play it your own way – part of the time at least. Play the game. But rise the ante, my boy – learn how it operates, learn how you operate – Ralph Ellison

What ever it is that we wreck
Nature shall correct
Its just that once we have done it
It shall not return in our lifetime


Things that you make
You can unmake
But what you didn’t
You can’t resurrect

Perhaps only the unreliable could be believed. Perhaps the truth was always a lie – Ralph Ellison


Half a dozen different
Wildflower in bloom
Including the claret cup
But Abbey’s cliff roses
Are the most prominent
Filling the night with
Their perfume


The lizards
Scamper about

Catching bugs
The only thing about
In the heat of the day
Darting from shadow
To shadow
Stopping only to
Palpitate the air
For edible scents

Pioneers usually scoff at any effort to perpetuate pioneering – Aldo Leopold


Chiggers hadn’t bothered me in a long time. As a kid we got them inside the band of our socks. My buddy Gerald got them so bad that his doctor ordered that he not wear cloths for a week. I though that was funny – having to be naked (I didn’t know then that adults did it for fun – got naked in pairs). And in May I got the worst case of chigger bites that I have ever experienced. That and the onset of Memorial Day and the onslaught of tourists (RVs prowling the byways) – well it all just soured the camping experience. It was that as much as anything that turned me back. And what is a chigger anyway?

A chigger is the larval stage of a mite – kin to the tick – and it doesn’t bit but injects the host with an enzyme and feed on tiny parts of the inner skin. This causes severe itching accompanied by a red-pimple like bump that usually appears only after the larvae have detached themselves.

For what gives value to travel is fear. It breaks down a kind of inner structure we have. One can no longer cheat – Albert Camus

Last year RV purchases were down 32.9% from the previous year: 237,000 vs. 363,400 units. 90% of the RV market is composed of motorhomes, travel trailers and fifth wheel trailers. Folding towed and truch campers compose the remainer.

It is better to live out one’s own absurdity than to die for that of others – Ralph Ellison

For like almost everyone else in our country, I started out with my share of optimism. I believed in hardwork and progress and action, but now, after first being ‘for’ society and then ‘against’ it, I assign myself no rank or any limit, and such an attitude is very much against the trend of the time. But my world has become one of infinite possibilities – Ralph Ellison

Going counterclockwise is
The left-handed way
The spiral is the most common

Symbol of rock art
And if counterclockwise is right
And there was no
Statistical preference for
Left-handed men then
It would have indicated they were
True artist and not just priests

While the actual working cowboy disappears, along with the genuine non-working Indian, the make believe cowboys flourish and multiple like flies on a pecan pie – Edward Abbey

Is not mathematics the
Universal language
That offended the gods
And the just cause that
Brought the towers down
Imagination and reach
Without limitation are
The precursors of tragedy
According to the Greeks

While the Greeks used reason to restrain the will, we have ended by placing the impulse of the will at the heart of reason, and reason has therefore become murderous – Albert Camus

In a curious paradox, humanity has refashioned a hostile destiny with the very weapons it used to reject fatality – Albert Camus

There is something profoundly sad
In the promise of a long life

We do what is quickest, which is to report what we have done and what we have seen – Albert Camus


The most loathsome materialism is not the kind people usually thing of, but the sort that attempts to led dead ideas pass for living realities, diverting into sterile myths the stubborn and lucid attention we give to what we have within us that must forever die – Camus

LOWEST COMMON DEMONINATOR

Conceived by bureaucrats
Designed by a committee
Executed by lowest bidder
Administered by professionals
Upon the advice of the experts


The criticism of language cannot get around the fact that our words commit us and that we shall remain faithful to them. Naming an object inaccurately means adding to the unhappiness of the world – Camus

No comments: