Tuesday, March 27, 2012

There's Gotta Be Rules - But You Don't Have to Obey Them




We go fishing. I have the carry the dog though the thickets. He is a burr magnet. Otherwise I have to spend half my time pulling the burrs out of his fur. I carry him under my right arm. In my left hand I  have my rod and reel. After a dozen casts I get bored. I need to brush up on my fishing lore (what lures rule and what not). There is a lot that I’m not doing right and nothing that I am doing well. He’s picked up some more burrs. I dig them out. He doesn’t whine and try to bite my hand any more. He prefers that I do it rather than do it himself. He licks my hand as I put back tuff after tuff of of his long hair from the hooks of an embedded burr. I pick him up, tuck him under my arm, pick up my rod  in the other hand and hike back to the road.  There are four deer drinking from the stream. They run off when they spot us. It is getting hot. I am getting heated with my sweat shirt on and totting this damn dog. I  shall have a beer. Its Ok because it’s almost noon.  One has to have rules to live by: no sex with chickens, no drinking before noon. I found a day-glow green lure in the woods. I am making a collection of these found lures. Now I have two.

Their talk, however, was the talk of sordid buccaneers: it was reckless without hardihood, greedy without audacity, and cruel without courage;  there was not an atom of foresight or of serious intention in the whole batch of them, and they did not seem aware these things are wanted for the work of the world – Joseph Conrad – Heart of Darkness

I almost got clobbered by a dead branch from the big tree that stood above my trailer (aka The Duck). In the night a storm blew in. I had been warned. I could hear something hitting the roof of the trailer but I thought it was hail. Two big branches came down in the wind. One almost hit the shelter and one almost hit me. It landed five feet behind the trailer. I could see the big hole it made in the soft dirt where it hit. It landed facing away from the trailer. I was lucky. I had heard sirens in the night. The dog shivered from fear of the thunder. I went to sleep. I guess the hill behind me got clobbered by a tornado. Big trees were uprooted and toppled. Metal roofing was twisted and wrapped around the trees that were still standing. I didn’t think anything about it. My power didn’t go out. I didn’t know anything about it until I left camp in the morning. I saw the damage where it has hit the top above me. Wow, that was very close. I was tucked in behind a berm at the bottom of the hill. I was lucky.

The difference, finding the / difference: earth, no heavier / with me here, will be no lighter when I’m gone – A R Ammons – Collected Poems, 1951-1971, 1972 p243

Power of the people – electioneering
Power for the people – rural electrification
Power to the people – popular uprising

We don’t want to impose our solution by force; we want to create a democratic space – Sub Comandante Marcos

Housecleaning – make the bed, wash the dishes, sweep the floor, clean the stove,  water the plants. The battery has gone dead again. Time to feed the dog again. Again and again, the same old thing.

Scientists of poetry / they are burning Newark / and when she went away / I turned in my sleep / and the deepest synapse of my bran / sparked and broke – Hugh Seidman – Selected Poems, 1995 p4

A big attack by the Germans is imminent.  We are throwing together every man they can be found find to re-enforce this area. They are putting together volunteers from all over the nearby front. Many did not yet even been issued uniforms, especially the young boys, but also the lunatics from a nearby asylum. Mothers had been dropping off there younger sons all morning, many were no older than six. There was a guy who claimed to be a professor of artillery. He was selling uniforms. In his opinion blue and pink were the ideal colors for an artilleryman – a blue tunic with pink pantaloons. Some of the veterans bought his uniforms for the youngest of the lads and dressed them up so their mothers could see them and be proud before they went back home. Us veterans intended to keep our distance from these proud lads.

The destruction of representational images is the destruction of a hierarchy which is no longer recognized. It is the violation of generally established and universally visible and valued distances – Elias Canetti -  Crowds and Power, 1978  p19

The Italians began to dance. They played arias arranged for mandolin, guitar and zinc accordion. Some of the women could not keep quiet. Men liked to hear women talk. Turn off here. This is the route James took on his journey into Jerusalem. Someone is behind me muttering the lyrics. He said that roses in a weed patch are no better than my sister. I told him to take it back. I suspected that it was an insult but I was not sure. Now I didn’t mind so much as long as he directed his insults at myself but to bring my family into this was just uncalled for. I was not particularly fond of any of my three sisters but one has to draw the line somewhere and this was the line that I drew. I am now ready to stand up and fight.

In Handel’s and Mozart’s time the public was annoyed ‘not’ to hear a new work – John Adams – Hallelujah Junction, 2008

A cool breeze blows out of the west. The clouds have disappeared. It is still cold but it is sunny. It is not bone chillingly cold but cold enough to want to keep your hands tucked into your pockets. It is time for a hot cup of coffee. This is when I miss having access to electricity. The microwave is so convenient when it comes to warming up a cup of coffee.

A woman put me down & Freud / smoked twenty cigars a day. / My friend spoke of prophets / & profit. The air conditioner / makes the living sound – Hugh Seidman – Selected Poems, 1995 p31

Make the bed, walk the dog, take a pee, take your meds and brush your teeth. Prepare and eat breakfast, wash the dishes. We’re getting on with this day. The coffee pot is already empty.

All the great classical communities conceived of themselves as cosmically central, through the medium of a sacred language linked to a superterrestrial order of power – Benedict Anderson – Imagined Communities, 1991 p13

Creationism is bad science; but Darwinism is not itself bad religion.

[What] the political class can’t accept [is] that the common demand of the current protest wave is for democratic revolution. We want them gone. We want power – Ben Manski 10/3/11

Bad explanations beg more bad explanations while good explanations beget better explanations

The way that can be spoken of is not the true way – Tao Te Ching

The consumer is the real job creator

Each morning they seize their weapons and go out and fight. They kill each other in sport, but they stand up again; it is not real death. Through 640 gates they re-enter Valhalla, 800 men in a row – Elias Canetti -  Crowds and Power, 1978   p44

No comments: