Tuesday, August 7, 2012

JENNIFER SCREAMS, “WHO’S THERE, IS THERE SOMEONE THERE?” NO ONE ANSWERS. SHE THINKS SHE HEARS BREATING.





The heat of the summer – unusally hot; drought across America; expect higher food price; gasoline is just below four dollars; people shall starve in Africa – is disapating. It got below sixty last night. After Labor Day I shall head south, but northeast Michigan for now. The Hobie has been pulled up on shore. The potted plants have been watered.  eEverything is stowed away . Put the tomato plants indoors. Check the tire pressure. Is the hitch secure? Hook up. Checkoff everything of the inspection list. Do it twice. I'm off. See you down the road.

I take the #38 out to Ocean Beach and walk over to the Beach Chalet. It is crowded today. Too crowed to sit and savor a cold beer and its noisy to boot. I walk over to the N line terminus and take the Metro back and stop at Eldo’s for a Cal Fornicator. “That’s a double bock. Are you sure? Are you familiar with the double bock? It’s pretty malty.” “I’m sure” I assure him. God that was worth all the hassle. “Happy hour all day today.” “All day Sunday? Every Sunday?” “Yes - it’s happy hour all day Sunday, every Sunday except for the barley wine.” My tape worm says to me “come back again.” Another Cal Fornicator next Sunday maybe.

The tourist thrives on the uncanny, moving happily through a phenomenal world of effects without causes. This world, in which he has no experience and no memory, is presented to him as a supernatural domain – Jonathan Raban – Driving Home, 2010 p17

Hot hot hot    
            Barely bearable
Give me another
            Cold beer
Cradled in the hammock
            Narry a breeze
Guzzle lots of alcohol
            And pass out
Wake up after it gets dark
            Disorientated

I love candle light, / said the Moth, / It makes suicide more romantic – James Broughton – Special Deliveries, 1989  p90

I want to go to the state fair (any state fair) and hand out ribbons like that one behind the bar that reads “California State Fair 2003 - Third Place” I once got a red ribbon for my cow at the county fair. I spent a lot of time in the hot sun curry combing her. The junior under ten category – me not Betsy my cow. I sold her, my Guernsey cow. Then I moved into town.

[General George Armstrong] Custer’s fame is the victor of fancy and myth over complicated history… [He] finally ran into the largest off-reservation gathering of Indians ever in one place on the continent, and gave them what was possibly the last really great time they ever had – Ian Frazier – Great Plains, 1989  p180

ALL THE WORLD’S A STAGE

He became Shakespeare
As he was tired
            Of being nothing
Or at least returning
            To being nothing
Upon exiting the stage
Having delivered
            His last line

After he died, he discovered himself standing before God and said to Him: I, who have been so many men in vain, wish to be one, to be myself. God’s voice answered him out of a whirlwind: I, too, am not I; I dreamed the world as you, Shakespeare, dreamed your own work, and among the forms of my dream are you, who like me are many, yet no one – Jorge Luis Borges – Collected Fictions, 1998 p320

It’s a release party. Lots of young people talking about bands and tours. Something called “Big Ugly”. I have no idea what “Big Ugly” is, but I like the name. I am going to guess that its an e-zine. The photographer, Tom, says “yes” that’s what it is. “What chu want boss?” “What do you have on tap?” “Newcastle.” “Then Newcastle it will be then.” I liked being called “Boss” – the gray haired dude. They are having a reading. I can only hear a voice. I  am sitting behind a pillar. I move over one bar stool. “Johnny Walker Back” and the big old fashioned cash register goes bling bling blink. The call for drinks keep on coming, the register keeps on blinkity blinking. “A Shirley Temple,” the guy next to me tells the bartender. The dollars are pouring out of bottles and into the till, bling bling blinkity bling. I had never actually heard anyone call for a “Shirley Temple” before. Oh of course in comic strips and those thirties black and white movies of high society, but never for real, right here in real life with colors, right her in real time without lines. It was quite a little jolt to actually hear someone say, “A Shirley Temple please.” A women is reading a piece she wrote about witnessing death sentence executions in South Carolina and the cash register is going blink blink blink and the bartender is not interested in my five dollar bill. She says she has witnessed five now and her editor is calling her “Lady Death.” As far as I can tell, so far, I have been the only witness to the Twenty-First century. I have an obligation to get it down and get it down correctly. It is a big responsibility. I take my job seriously.

Never disown your mad superstitions, / bad habits, unclad fantasies. / Those are the riches of your personality – James Broughton – Special Deliveries, 1989  p194

It was a bad choice
It cost her, her life
It would have also cost his
But he  had abandoned her
            To her fate

Antonio, the chariot is here… You are about to see Jesus – Angola Prison Warden Burl Cain to about to be executed prisoner Antonio James

The human mind partitions – natural things in lots of two or three and artificial things into sets of either seven or ten: natural things like – you and me; true or false; the good, the bad and the ugly; the father, the son and the holy ghost; - artificial things: the seven deadly sins, the seven wonders of the world; the top ten songs of 1976, the ten top grossing films of all time.

Every graveled path, every ditch, has been projected along latitude and longitude lines of the township-and-range survey system. The farms are squares, the fields are squares, the houses are squares; if you could pluck their roofs off from over people’s heads, you could see the families sitting at square tables in the dead center of square rooms – Jonathan Raban – Driving Home, 2010  p104

Apple pie
Pumpkin spice
Roll the dice
Boil the rice
Crack the ice
Isn’t it nice

I love everything about my iPhone; Steve Jobs made this iPhone; therefore, I love Steve Jobs – however faulty [this syllogism is, it] makes a certain kind of emotional sense – Sue Halpern – New York Review of Books, 1/12/12 p24

Olney Illinois – City of White Squirrels – people kill the normal ones so their town can make its claim to fame. Toronto was know for its black squirrels. The lady at the park said that there are not as many as their used to be. She thought it was due to migration. I thought who ever it was that was killing the regular ones was probably also dead. There is no longer the distinction there once was in being able to claim that you are the “City of White Squirrels” – not in the age of the Game Boy anyway.

The more nature got out of control the more people measured it – Jonathan Raban – Driving Home, 2010  p107

(From the Journals – September 14, 2004, Toranto, Ontario) A black squirrel just crept across the pavement in front of me and went in among the purple flowers and clock on the spire of St James Cathederal strikes noon. What a oddity – a black squirrel. Then another. I’m wondering how common black squirrels are. Do squirrels come in other colors. There must be albino ones somewhere. Yes, the Internet list a town in Illinois and one in Ohio with populations of white squirrels.  Then the first one returns and and joins a third black squirrel behind me. Black squirrels are more common here than brown pigeons. The first one had back with a nut clutched in its cheeks. How cute with those big pointed ears with the hair standing up straight.

When savages are pitted against civilization, they must go to the wall; it is the fate of their race. Much as we may deplore the necessity of such a state of things, it is absolutely necessary, in order that the onward movement of civilization may not be arrested by the antagonism of the aboriginals – Cooktown (Aust.) Herald – June 24, 1874

The park vibrates with autumn colors – purple and yellow –pink roses, but purple is the dominant color. Then a little chipmunk darts across the sun-dappled sidewalk and into the bushes, skirting along the purple flowers. It is a normal chipmuck as far as I can tell. How many stripes? I don’t know it was too quick for me to count them. The bees begin their laborious process of gathering pollen. The quiz folks at the pub last night had correctly responded ‘honey’ to the question, ‘what is the only food that does not spoil?’

Trickery is often a too simple and convenient explanation – Errol Morris – Believing is Seeing, 2011 p45

Should I go back to Olney tomorrow and sit in the park and look for white squirrels? The lady said that she say one here yesterday. It was a hundred in Olney, but by the time I got to the Walbash in had dropped to 94.

[The Bush] administration’s threshold for which an act of torture begins was the point at which  the Inquisition stipulated that it must ‘stop’ – Cullen Murphy – The Atlantic, Jan/Feb 2010  p77

At Charlie Hooper’s there is still no Lieney Red
It’s not our doing but that of the distributor
It is the only domestic that is not domestic
That is not a Bud or a Miller or a Coors
Tuesday was one-dollar domestic draw night
I had a Bully Porter at $3.50
            Not bad but more than a dollar

Today is Thursday and all draws are two fifty
So it does not matter that they have no Leiney Red
I drink Kronenbourgh 1664 instead
And I had some chili cheese fries too

As if he once was someone’s son / but not now. He’s the carpet slipper / guests hear scratching overhead – W S Di Piero – Nitro Nights, 2011 p21

No comments: