Tuesday, February 4, 2014

When Smells Ache and You’re Out of Toothpaste




I’m the guest of honor. I am a little late but not too late. I reach the door. I reach for the door handle. I can see them all gathered there inside. I see Walter’s head. It’s a converted Victorian house. The knob would’n turn. The door has been locked. It’s this damn neighborhood. I never felt uncomfortable here but I’m not from Guatemala. I don’t transacts business here. I don’t have a cash drawer full of lose change here. It’s not that they mistrust their neighbors so much, it’s that they distrust everyone. Maybe they’re right. Some people have reasons for being paranoid. I would be too if I weren’t so naïve. Someone comes and unlocks the door. They relock it after I’m in. It’s a 15x10 white cell. But who cares as long as there an open bottle of wine, hot food and good company – Walter, Amy, Lorraine, Gigi, Tony, Paul and myself. Everyone greets me. Now we can eat, Walter says.  But first I read to them my just concluded Charlie Manson interview. “Have you sent any of this in for publication?” Lorraine asks. “Not yet, it only just happened,” I say. After eating we all walk over to a gallery opening in the neighborhood. It’s next door to Dave Egger’s store. It was a reception for “Lip Magazine”. “This is the gallery where I show my work,”  Lorraine tells me. “I make drawings in my journal,” I tell her. She asks to see them. I show her my notebook. Walter has seen them before. Gigi wants to see.  She wants to know what they are are suppose to be off. “Why do they have to ‘be off ’ something,” I want to know? Do they have to represent anything in particular? “Well, I guess, if you insist, you could what you want of them.” “Dinosaurs”, she says.  “Oh I see now, they are dinosaurs. See there’s Barney.”  “And that one’s Dino,” Lorraine said. “It’s sort of like astronomy,” Walter remarks.  

I learned to understand Cezanne much better and to see truly how he made landscapes when I was hungry. I used to wonder if he were hungry too when he painted; but I thought possibly it was only that he had forgot to eat – Ernest Hemingway – A Movable feast p75

Navigating Paris streets
Avoiding places to eat
            When without funds
            Their smells ache
The rue de l’Odeon is bare
            Of eating places
Turn right to Sylvia’s bookstore
All your hunger is contained
            Your perceptions are heightened
            Go to the museum     
            And see Cezanne
You’re too thin
            Hemingway, Sylvia says
Hunger is healthy
            And it makes the pictures
            Look better, I replied
But eating
            Is wonderful too, she says

The faster we travel, the sooner we get there, granted we don’t try to go to far.

I’m back a Eldo’s again today. That’s two days in a row. Another Californicator, please! The Athletics are playing Pittsburgh. I am reading ‘Recovering the Black Female Body’ or to be more precise – on being a fat girl. I look around. There are three of us in a row at the bar all reading. We are not fat black sisters.  We are all men reading books. It’s an extraordinary coincidence (It would have been a bigger coincidence if we had all been black church ladies at the bar drinking beer). The guy on my left is reading a novel. He says it has taken him twenty-seven years to get around to it. It’s called ‘Beer, Books and Bikes’. I tell him that it took me twenty years to read Thomas Mann’s ‘Magic Mountain’ from the time I started until I had finished it. Not continuous reading you understand. Every couple of years I pick it up and read a little bit more. I have recently started to re-read it. Twenty years or there about, I was at it. Some books just have to be read in their own time, he says. The guy on the right is reading some stories by Edgar Allen Poe. I ask him if he knew what Poe was famous for? He looks at me quizzically. He doesn’t want to look stupid and say something too obvious. It’s probably a trick question, he thinks. “No,” he say, “tell me”. “Poetry,” I say, “Edgar Allen Poe invented poetry.” “Really,” he says. I grin. That was a Walter joke. You can’t tell a Walter joke to just anybody. We all go back to reading our respective books. Just this morning Walter and I had been discussing whether they are called ‘Rollie Pollies’ or ‘Pill Bugs’. I don’t remember how the had subject come up. He said he’d never heard the term ‘Rollie Pollie’ before. And Linda says that that was what she had called them too. It is probably a regional thing. There’s a term for neologisms that are used just at home but I couldn’t remember it. Walter wanted an example. That roll of cardboard on which toilet paper is wrapped. Some families have a name of it. Say they call in a ‘peek-a-poo’ and when you’re a kid in a family  that call it a peek-a-poo you don’t know that no one else calls it that. And say you’re at school and the toilet paper runs out in the john and you go and tell the teacher holding the empty cardboard roll and say. “We’re down to the  ‘peek-a-poo’ in the boy’s john”, (assuming your in grade school of course – hopefully you wouldn’t do this in high school or even middle school). “That can prove to be a very embarrassing moment,” I said. And that’s when Walter told me about Edgar Allen Poe inventing poetry.

Now is when the future becomes the past

For any serious purpose, intelligence is a very minor gift – G H Hardy – Apology

Walter tells me that I shouldn’t just write “he said”, “she said” all the time. “You’ve got to use a bunch of other phrases like ‘he intoned’, ‘she rejoined’ or  ‘I jubilantly replied’. You gotta introduce a little variety into your writing.”, he said.  He made a suggestion that I change “’I will behave all day‘ I said” to “’I’ll behave all day,’I rejoiced.” “I will  think about that,” I enunciated.

Scratch the cat
Kiss the dog
Pat the horse on the ass
Tis a good wife
That will put up with that

Milk the cows
Slop the hogs
Poison the rats
Tis a damn fine banker
Who’ll wait for it

Curse the weather
Fall off the wagon
Swat at the flies
Tis a tolerant god
That will allow all this

No comments: