Monday, January 26, 2015

What Americans Believe



God, it was horrid. I got up to pee in the middle of the night. The room started spinning. I though it was my eyes. I blinked them several times. Round and round went the room. I felt nauseous. I had to lie back down. I closed my eyes. This is better. I brake out into a cold sweet like I do on a turbulent airplane ride. I hope I don’t vomit. God this is horrid. I hope it goes away soon. I hope its goes away period. I wouldn’t want to live like this. What if it doen’t go away.  I still hadn’t managed to pee but that was only a minor problem at the moment. I got up later. It happens again. I felt nausous. I lay back down and await daylight. At least then I thought I’d be able to orientate myself. It is a long night. I manage to find the aspirn. I spent most of the day in bed. That’s how I know I’m ill; I stay in bed.  The equilibrium is better but the stomach doesn’t feel so good. I don’t have an appetite and that is good as I’ve been trying to lose weight. The doctor said twenty pounds and I’ve almost managed thirty.  I’m afraid that if I eat I might throw-up. This is one way to lose weight, but not a very good way.

It’s the function of utopianism to provide us with the distance from the existing state of affairs which allows us to judge what we are doing in the light of what we could or should do – Andre Gorz – Reclaiming Work, 1999, p113

After the heat of the day
It’s time venture out again
Back onto the streets again
After dark to the bar for an ale
Its a night of the blues again

I’m sitting here talking to a young woman
‘Oh, you just like big tits and curly hair.’ she says
            I didn’t deny it
‘I strapped on a Stratocruiser
And learned to play from the old guys’
‘I love the blues,’ She says

She was saucy and cute and young
So how did we go from there
            To Cervantes and Lorca
‘She is teaching, now’, she says.
Teaching high school Spanish in Little Rock

She says married sex is the greatest
Been married six weeks now and she cries into her beer
That’s really what the blues is all about
Talking about what you ain’t getting

At a teacher’s convention
            She sees someone she knows
And I debate a fourth dark ale
Oh what the hell.
One more night of the blues
            And I ain’t gettng anything either

I’m sure blackmailers never arrive in buses – Agatha Christie – The Secret Adversary

The road to hell is paved with economic efficiency

The object of art is to blur our preconceptions

The only way we know that we don’t know something is when we fail to find it out. The rules for  determining what is knowable are not predetermined.

They are a strange couple, mainly because they are not a couple. There is no familiarity between them. He instructs. She obeys. They never touch. They rarely converse, mostly he instructs. Perhaps this weekend was a big mistake. Having a kayak each may not in itself be enough.


We’ve removed the poetry from our technology – more generally we have removed art from our everyday lives. Technology demands a technical language just a does engineering and economics. Poetry about computers, Predator missiles and mobile phones – I’ve not read any. Cornfields  steam locomotives and gramaphones maybe but not recently. Thre is no poetry in a Mac or obtaning one’s GPS coordinates of hooking up the TV to a satillete.

Illinois is a spring burning over the husks of last year’s corn – Richard Curry Esler

The constant wind – a roar in my ears (or maybe it’s just a build up of wax). It sounds like a radio broadcast of a baseball game. Classic Red Barber or Vince Scully. This is not bad in itself, but some times I try to listen and catch the score. I can hear the roar of the crowd or maybe its just static. Sometimes I can actually hear what Vince is saying. And I cheer when the Dodgers score.

I don’t know what just is, I said. Truth interests me though. Not general truth if there is any, but the truth of particular things. Who did what and when – Ross MacDonald – The Drowning Pool

Individuals provide desire; society provides motivation; culture provides the rationality

Projects over run their own logic and principles

Displaying one's body under a shining surface and in tight clothes is a means of self-staging that relegates all who gaze to a role of mere spectatorship. One can be erotically attracted to such a staged body without necessarily wishing to penetrate it. For since it reflects light, the shining body offers resistance to the external gaze, and closes itself off to interpretations that seek deep meaning and the satisfaction of erotic desire. - Hans Ulrich Gumrterch – In 1926, 1997 p104

It’s raining. It’s been raining most of the night. It will probably rain all day today. For the last two days its been cold and gloomy. Today will be the same.

Goals are usually couched in terms of the models they operationalize, what we cannot do is measure against what might have happened had things taken a different turn, been conducted according to a different agenda, have followed an alternative model.

Were there is a well-established idea or way of looking at things, it is extremely difficult to find an alternative way even if one is already available. It is not the ideas we do not have that block our thinking but the ideas that we do have – Edward deBono, 1972

Responsibility is to systems; not to people; love is what we owe to ourselves and others. But love does not produce money unless we equate it with sex. Make it fungible

The English equalivant of the Haiku is the Limerick

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices – William James

When a person tries to deceive a dog during play, he succeeds 47% of the time. When a dog tries to deceive a human, he succeeds 41% of the time

Ted Bundy changed my life – Ann Rule p459

‘United We Stand’
And other placards
            All over
            His truck
Those symbolic yellow ribbons
            Across the
            Rear window
            So many
That he can hardly see out
Not a single pink one
            Those are for uterine cancer
            But close enough
These are about killing the
            Bad guys
And cancer is a bad guy
            Too
Our economic system
            Is cancerous
“Kill Capitalist Bastards”
That should be a red ribbon
            I suppose
Don’t see any on his truck

If one is standing still and bareheaded, and exhales a deep breath, one can actually hear one’s breath freezing a moment or two after it has left the mouth… It is rather like that produced by the movement of sand on a beach when a wave washes up – Robert Falcon Scott – Voyage of the Discovery vol.1, 1907 p273

In theory it only takes 17% of the American electorate to elect a majority in the US Senate


No comments: