Tuesday, July 6, 2010

God Wants You to Buy a Gun, It is Part of God's Plan

Pastorprenurs –  are self-styled protestant religious leaders who use business principles rather than theology to fill their parking lots. Full parking lots being their equivalent to “butts in seats” which would be considered a crass usage of language. Their megachurches have more in common with MacDonalds then thy doe with local parish houses of worship and their architecture is corporate in inspiration - boxy and metallic. Target audience rather than community is their principle focus. They conduct surveys of the unaffiliated rather than canvassing their congregations. They stand in three-piece suits in front of fake waterfalls rather than wear vestments in front of crosses. And it all works – their coffers get replenished. It is the way God wants it to be afterall.

The trinity; a trinity
Is always three
And the three always
Constitute a trinity but
Not always The trinity


The family consististing of
     The father
     The virgin Mary
     And their son
But wait, Joseph makes
      It a foursome


Laisse faire – a labor market
             (the holy ghost)
       A self-regulating currency
              (the father)
       And free trade (the son)


Our constitutional democracy
        The legislature (labor under
               the authority of the employer)
         The President (no hindrance
               on the exchange of goods)
         The Supreme Court (an incorruptible
                currency based on the stability of gold)
          Elected every three years – no that’s not right!
          But would be if you averaged the biannial and quadrannial
                Elections


We must not be perturbed
          By minor inconsistences
          They are God's test of
                   Our faith in his Plan
          God wants you to own a gun


Everything has it’s own rules
         Three strikes and your out
         After three bases you can come
                 Home
         After three watered beers you
                  Need to take a pee
                  I know that I need to

To appreciate present conditions / collate them with those of antiquity – Basil Bunting – Collected poems, 2003– p85

At 3:15 this morning a big rig overturned with a fatality. It has now been cleared. I’m getting nit picky and fussy - I got a spot of Crystal Pepper Sauce on my shirt and I just had to change it. It would never have bothered me before. I’m reading my previous field notes. I have just started book three [I'm now on volume 64].  I have purchased an additional four sketchbooks and some water-soluble wax pastels. I plan to soon start adding a little color to this endeavor. I need to get a small day back pack to carry around everything that I am now using, its now more than just a pen and pad, it’s now a project.

What then is the result when people are commanded, encouraged, or – better yet freed up to play at being human? Our guess is that prominent among the outcomes would be play itself – David P Barash – How Women Got Their Curves – 2009 p.x

I am thinking of giving my thirty day notice on my apartment as of July 1 - the eighth anniversary of my lease. I had made a mental note of something that I wanted to write down when I got to the coffee shop but now that I am here,  I have no idea what it was. Now I remember – breakfast, my breakfast menu. I made breakfast at home which is rare for me - scrambled eggs, bacon, hash brown potatoes, toast with strawberry jam and banana-strawberry-orange juice. I found my way to a sunny bench at the arboretum that was not otherwise being used by napping homeless men. It overlooks the redwood (cypress) forest rather than the lily pond with wild irises that are in bloom, but unoccupied benches in the sun are rare - you take what you can. So why make my own breakfast? Why start cooking now. It’s not just the economics. Its that breakfast is not a social time. One does not engage in breakfast conversations with strangers. So why bother going out? So my basic routine for now is to get up and go out for coffee. Come back and do choirs and make my breakfast. Then I putter around and  leave for the day around noon or a by early afternoon at the latest. I try out another coffee shop or I go to a museum or like today  I might go somewhere outside. Today I went to the arboretum. A late afternoon tea and then each my evenings are devoted to beer. Then I come back home and go to bed and then I resume the routine early the next day and the day after that.

Some rationalistic, or perhaps analytic, turn of mind repels me against being moved by a thing without knowing why I am affected and what it is that affects me – Sigmund Freud

The sea gulls cover the rocks with guano after they have bathed in these fresh water ponds. They congregate and wash and preen on these rocks. Then they go flapping out on wing, clearing the big cyprus at the end of five looping circles over the pond. A mallard scoots in for a landing. With flaps down it almost stalls out before easing itself onto the water's suface. Five turtles have hauled themselves out onto a sunny rock. There are five benches around the lake upon which six people sit.

In the pursuit of pleasure we have become habituated to displays of stupidity

One cannot have direct knowledge of one’s own amnesia, [but] there may be ways to infer it – Oliver Sacks – Musicophilia, 2007 p190

Where ever you go you find people spouting the jargon of the marketplace whether from the pulpit or within their bedrooms

Individualism – once you get beyond the crude Darwinian law of war of all against all – is no more than a sorry delusion – Victor Serge – The Unforgiving Years, 2007 p8

55% of the US labor force claim to have experienced some work-related hardship in the past three years. Among the currently employed 28% have had their hours of work reduced and 23% have been subject to pay cuts. 38% claim to have been unemployed or underemployed during this period. The young and members of minority populations tend to be the most optimistic that things will improve during the coming year. Only 3% believe however that the recession is over. Americans still overwhelmingly believe that this is the land of prosperity.

Women are more damaged than we are. This world is crueler to women… Victor Serge – The Unforgiving Years, 2007 p85

It is claimed that the “new privileged class in America” consists of government employees [among whom we can count teachers and firemen and policemen and members of the armed forces – but I think that those making this claim are thinking of regulators and bureaucrats and inspectors]. It is claimed that they are better paid “than the people who pay their salaries” [Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels] which is nonsense – they actually earn 11 to 12% below their comparable private sector workers. It's the one's without a comprable equivalent in the private market that I worry about - say like generals and tax collectors.

Justice will not come to Athens until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are injured – Thucydides

No comments: