Sunday, July 4, 2010

Monkeys Prefer the Simpsons to Family Guy. Some Monkeys Consider South Park Nothing Special Which Results in Frequent Knife Fights

The reported number of US citizens targeted for assignation by their own government has been increased form only 3 six months ago to “dozens”. “There are in my mind, dozens of US persons who are in different parts [in a Yemen or in a Pakistan – in countries other than Iraq or Afghanistan] of the world and they are very concerning to us.” [John O Brennan]

We posses the illusion of truth when we are consistent with a consensus – the trick is to restrict those with whom we associate. If you believe that gain and greed are man’s natural lot it says a lot about who you are hanging out with. The convenience of mediated communications is that it makes such consensus building simple – even the stupid can do it and most of them are good at it.

As long as a democratic façade exists, liberals can engage in an empty moral posturing that requires little sacrifice or commitment – Chris Hedges

The day had hardly even
     Got underway when
Morning traffic was in
      A gridlock
A woman with fiery red hair told
      Me not to worry
I sat there and sipped lukewarm
      Fair trade coffee
The line for cappuccino had been
      Long and slow
She put her long legs up on
      The dash with both
       Hand cradling her beverage container
If you want to keep it warm
       Put it here between my legs she said
But traffic began to move again and I resumed
       Watching for red taillights
Concentrating on my progress
        Or lack thereof
I didn’t notice that she was gone – the
        Passenger seat was now empty
        Except for puddle of
Spilt coffee

The revolver under my pillow – my brain was seizing it, but a brain without hands is nothing – Victor Serge – The Unforgiving Years, 2007 p33

These two big stout boys wear on their heads flat tops from which aircraft could have taken off and have bombed those with whom they wared. But their white hats protected and concealed their deadly arsenals. They are instead speaking business, talking business speak - for which many are conversant but to whom very few actually listen. They had taken blue pills, it seemed,  to sleep and had not calculated their correct windows. Lillie of the valley, all in black tonight, sweet iris wading in my lily pond. How sweet it is to be loved by you. How sweet it is to be loved by you.

It takes a simple mind to see simple solutions to simple problems.

Oh, Oh, she has a big shiny black plastic purse - oh, oh - Rambo - oh, oh - Rambo – I’m having a flashback of  my Vietnamese torture - Asian Lily in black pajamas - Eau de Cologne of the jungle. Esmeralda or was it Matilda with her diamond nose studs slings the beer and the good doctor is crying, bent down over the bar sobbing.

I see you, G & T in hand, in your favorite chair, / squinting as you take another drag – Alan Jenkins – “A Late Lunch” (2003)

To have knowledge is to be an insider, to be able to define value - a preserver of what is - to be an author is such a privilege, to pray at an alter not yet convinced. You know there is a difference between a writer and an author? I know. Does he really know? Or is he just agreeing with me? I didn’t ask. Why did I not ask? Am I afraid that he might know that I know  - that he is amusing me - killing time - just being polite – afraid to arouse this sleeping dragon – does he think I’m just another mad man, any old mad man, or maybe he thinks that I am just a common drunk - how insulting?

There is no record of any greater. / It causes a religious revival. / Months… / Years… / … / Nobody mentions it now. // This is the unstable world and / we in it unstable in our houses – Basil Bunting – Collected poems, 2003 p86

Damn it this is now, I want to say. This (now) is all that there is. And what the hell is the difference between an author and a writer? You don’t know do you? You are not going to admit that you don’t know, are you? This is precisely why I haven’t asked you to distinguish the difference. So it is up to me, is it? He closes his book and finishes off his beer and moves to the other end of the bar.

Every synesthete has his own color correspondence – Oliver Sacks – Musicophilia, 2007 p172

I want, wah aunt! A bald headed lady with a chrome dome, oiled and shinned to perfection. She had been quiet until know. She had not said a word before she suddenly piped up. I am startled. Someone has yelled into my ear. One of the guys with the aircraft carrier haircuts is pouring a pinot noire for all the ladies at the bar. He thinks he is a sommelier. I ask the barmaid if she is charging a corkage fee. Someone comments on his hair style. It is not only I who has noticed it. Yes, he replies, I’m going for the Boy Dylan look. He had told me that he liked Condi Rice’s spunk but said she had said nothing new. On this we agreed.

She has the smell of spearmint and such a tiny bone structure. My eyes were following her gestating fingers. Her hand would fit comfortably in my small mitt. I think I can detect her natural smelll. Natural smells are sexy. I move my thigh close to hers and feel the throbing of  her body heat. This is sexy too - espically if you don't touch. I  wonder if she too  detects the immination of warm as my blood surges.  I wonder if I will I get home in time for the Simpsons.

Until we say the truth, there can never be tenderness. / As long as there is desire, we will not be safe – Tony Hoagland – Donkey Gospel, 1998 p65

Ideological inconsistence is, for me practically an article of faith – Zadie Smith – Changing My Mind

Attack the state and you attack the capitalists which is counter to liberal economic ideology

In exposing objective reason as an ideology, radicalism leaves itself no means of legitimizing its own critique of injustices, exploitation, and of course realism, well I am fed up with that condition… I want out of here – Raymond Federman – The Twofold Vibration, 1982 p124

Lincoln scholarship is a safe scholarship so long as it doesn’t cross the line of “re-writing”

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world – Arthur Schopenhauer – Studies in Pessimism

No comments: