Monday, February 14, 2011

Monkeys Writing Poems; Monkeys Riding Golf Carts

I forgot my notebook this morning. I felt half naked without it. I fumbled around at the coffee shop this morning looking for something to do. I even fished the date section out of the trash. Linda said that she would never be so desperate as to do that and then she discovered that her Chronicle was missing it’s date book section and she asked if she could borrow mine. The guy next to me when he left had deposited it in  a sidewalk receptacle two doors down from the Royal Ground. Why couldn’t he have just left it on the table like everyone else? I went outside and I retrieved it. Stuck my arm down into the bin and retrieved it. I’m desperate, I said. I need something to keep me occupied. I forgot my journal this morning, I told her when I returned. After telling me that she would never be that desperate, she discovered that her Date Book was missing and asked if she could see mine when I finished with it? But instead of waiting she goes and buys a second copy of the paper. It would serve her right if it is also missing the entertainment section. She made sure that she the comics and crossword.


Walter says, “Fred’s reading again”. "What this time", complains Linda? "Oh, I’m not reading from my notes", I inform her.  I assure her that I left my notebook at home this morning. I am reading, I tell her, about how the Yoruba in Africa have a numbering system that is a superior calculating machine to our digital system. Our decimal system has to use graphic representations to compensate for it’s lack of flexibility. I am explaining. This is just the type of obscure thing that Walter likes to become an adept of. I try to convince him to become a Yoruba numerator,


James Taylor has seen a lot of fire and rain lately. This is the third time in a month as I recall of having heard it broadcast here in the coffee shop - but I only saw that I see you again - don’t notice which way a cold wind blows!


In a hypercommercialized system everything is self-referential. Everything becomes its own source of excellence and its own source of value.


The ultimate goal of the human sciences [is] not to constitute, but to dissolve man in the reintegration of culture in nature and finally of life within the whole of physicochemical conditions – Claude Levi-Strauss – The Savage Mind

Some day we will look at golf carts with wistful nostalgia and tender love. We will restore them to mint condition; build low-rider golf carts - ‘Le Flea’ and mount them on giant wheels - ‘Monster Ant’.

“Too big to fail” should be replaced by “To bad to reform” as our silver bullet

I… discovered a sublime law, the Law of the Equivalence of Windows, and established that the way to compensate for a closed window is to open another window, so that the conscience may always have plenty of air – Machado De Assis – Epitaph of a Small Winner, 1952 p106

How can you stay
Always mad
When she’s now
          Dead
You can’t and that
In itself was enough
         Of an excuse
To have wished that
         She was
But now she is
And your sad
Can't you ever
          Be content

Woman’s adulation is different form men’s. The latter comes close to servility; the former takes the guise of affection – Machado De Assis – Epitaph of a Small Winner, 1952 p153

Modernity – the priesthood of experts and administrators in accordance with a criteria of “excellence”.

His ambition, although tired of beating its wings without being able to fly, was deathless – Machado De Assis – Epitaph of a Small Winner, 1952 p113

Nothing lends more credibility
Than do the particulars


But too many specifics
Is an indicator of deceit

Modern physics, as a science, is an immense system of indications in the form of names and numbers whereby we are enabled to work with Nature as with a machine – Oswald Spangler – The Decline of the West, 1965 p189

The sun shines over my left shoulder. The sun came out yesterday afternoon off of the back side of an metal street sign outside. We never notice it when it everywhere, every present - the sun.

We’ve had 125,000 generations of humans, but only the last eight have had growth. So what’s considered normal? – Peter Victor

The Revolution will not be
         Televised
The Revolution is now on
         Channel nine

The organic history of a style comprises a “pre-“, a “non-“ and a “post-“ – Oswald Spangler – The Decline of the West, 1965 p107

Walk talk
Go fuck
Rant rave
Bend spend
Pay play
Run dun
Hate Bait
Live rend

Private property is traditionally based on the logic of scarcity – material property cannot be in two places at once – Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri – Multitude: war and democracy in the age of empire, 2004 p180

No comments: