Friday, December 16, 2011

Work, Work, Work - Until You Drop Dead


Bruce said the he had in mind the perfect second career for me, if I wanted one. He was not offering anything real, just his idea. Nothing on a platter was coming my way. He had just thought of something that I would be great at, he said. “And what would that be,” I asked out of curiosity, not that I had any desire to resume a career. “A political cartoonist,” he replied. “Yes,” I said, “just what the world needs – more cartoonists.” My current project is a pedestrian circumnavigation of the City of San Francisco (and coincidently the county). Today I shall start at Hunter’s Point and walk to Candlestick Park. I had just previously done Cargo Way to India Basin. Now the only part left will be the County line from the Bay to the Breakers. Afterwards I catch the #19 and get off at Height and walk up to the Magnolia at Ashbury. Tonight’s guest beer is Moonlight's  "Old Combine”. A political cartoonist ugh? I could do that. Indeed I could. Someone else was telling me that I would be great at designing fabrics.  I could make lots of money doing that.“I love your colors,” she said. But instead I have chosen to perambulate about. I am a flaneur! I am a flaneur! That is what I do (or don't do).

The moon is no door. It is a face in its own night, / white as a knuckle and terribly upset – Sylvia Plath – Collected Poems, 1981 p173

A  recent scientific study indicated that rats will demonstrate a preference for empathy over greed. Now let’s find out if they can by retrained to put greed first – act as supposedly homo economies does.

The Fascists miscalculated. They meant to unleash hatred, but what has been born is compassion… My optimism is triumphing. And I never had any illusions – I’ve always known that life is cruel – Vasily Grossman – The Road, 2010 p102
36 pounds of straw is equivalent to 1 tuss; 36 tusses equal 1 load

7 pounds of wool equals 1 clove; 2 cloves make 1 stone; 2 stones is 1 tod; 6.5 tods equals 1 wey; 2 weys equal 1 sack; 12 sacks equal 1 last

It is a country on a nursery plate. Spotted cows revolve their jaws and crop / Red clover – Sylvia Plath – Collected Poems, 1981  p112

Kettled and mulcted
Herded and milked
Decamped and disembarked
Thrown out, beat
            Up and booked
            Subject to stiff fines
Legal and medical
            Expenses mount
Stamped for exclusion
            No different than
            A nightclub
Denied – stranded and
            Tracked
Standard tactics
            Nothing new
            Or  unusual except
The Consertina wire
            Has yet to be
            Rolled out

Put lipstick on a pig
Paint legs on a snake
Wash the crows
Put a hat on a hen
            Everything is OK
            Okie dokie
Go about your business
            The stores are all open
            Till late
Tonight

In most fighting matches, if one fighter bleeds badly enough, the fight is called a technical knockout. Not so in literary and political squabbles – Deborah Martinson – Lillian Hellman: a life with foxes and scoundrels, 200 p356

The number of drug users worldwide has been estimated at 250 million. The UN is suggesting that governments need to find a better way of dealing with users other than criminalizing them. “We simply treat them [the users] as criminals.” They need to find ways of legalizing and regulating the usage of dangerous drugs that will deny profits to drug cartels. Worldwide usage since 1988 of opiates has increased by 34.5%, the usage of cocaine is up 27%, the usage of cannabis is up 8.5%.

It’s not the weather cock that is moving, it’s the wind – Victor Serge – Memoirs of a Revolutionary 1901-1941, 1963 p47

How do you do
What do you do

Do what you must
Go where you want

Doing fine
Doing it right
Doing it

Did it last night
Do it if you must
Do it up tight
Do it, just do it

It is done
It is gone
I’m alone
Go along

            All over
But the clean up
What a mess
Did you know

No I didn't know

In any man, the best and the worst live side by side, and sometimes mingle – and… what is worst comes through the corruption of what is best – Victor Serge – Memoirs of a Revolutionary 1901-1941, 1963 p44

In a capitalist society, you don’t have to proscribe, you merely have to declare it unprofitable

The product of the work system is work – Mark Kingwell – Harper’s, July 2011  p23

No comments: