Wednesday, July 25, 2012

JENNIFER LET THE FLUFFY WHITE TERRYCLOTH ROBE SLIP OFF HER SHOULDERS AND FLOAT TO THE FLOOR





102 yesterday. It is supposed to get to 104 today. Damn it, I need to quite listening to the radio. It doesn’t do me any good at all. Can’t do anything about it. Walk outside and you’ll know everything you need to know about it. Ain’t putting up any hay, so what difference does it make anyhow? And beside if you’re like most folks you’d stay inside, in the house, at the store, at the office or in the car traveling back and forth (in-between), but your out here in the woods and you ain’t got no AC except for an occasional light breeze if and when it pleases. You’re a fool. And it’s hot. And oh your’re so miserable. Lay in the hammock all day and drink lukewarm beer until you pass out.

I prefer the wrong way… for at least the cracks and flaws and awkwardness show signs of life – Charles Bernstein – A Poetics, 1992 p2

I Have Some Questions
            Do you have any too?
What were you doing?
Remember what you were doing?
            (Watching on TV no doubt)
Rephrase that one
            Remember where you were watching the TV
What you were thinking as you watched
            What is he thinking
            That slow chase down the Florida highway
                        In the white bronco
And when the verdict came in
White people were stunned
And black people jumped

And we wondered how well we knew each other
We asked questions that we hadn’t asked in a while

Jesus is the answer?
The license plates all proclaim it
But what I want to know
Is what was that question again?
Can you give it to me in a sentence?

The art of living has no history: it does not endure: the pleasure which vanishes, vanishes for good, there is no substitute for it. Other pleasures come, which replace nothing: no progress in pleasure: nothing but mutations – Roland Barthes by Roland Barthes, 1977 p50

They had just come off the trail. Said they needed the time alone. They weren’t very sociable. An image of the movie “Brokeback Mountain” came to my mind even thought there were no sheep anywhere around. “What brought you guys all the way up here”, I asked?  I answered by own question, “The nearest mountains, I suppose.” “Yes,” they replied. There was a big fire in the woods to the side of the road and I had passed through its smoke yesterday afternoon. A controlled brush fire I suppose as there didn’t seem to be any effort going on to contain it. It made for a great sunset.  Forest fires are good for that  as are volcanic eruptions (think of what nuclear bombs could have done for Turner). This place is too near the highway. I hear the jake brakes of big trucks all night. A car from with Minnesota tags pulled in during the night. The Tulane students left early in shower of gravel. There’s a blue and green tent pitched two sites away. We are on a ridge and the wind blows continuously. I break camp. Still no one is stirring in nearby tent. I stop at the Pines Café for breakfast – two scrambled eggs, sausage and hash browns with coffee. A big ORV assembly in the parking lot; two dozen four wheelers. “Big trail ride?” “Oh yes”, the waitress replies, “trails all over the place, if your adventurous.” Down here an ATV is considered a second car; mobile homes on cinder blocks surrounded by old rusting hulks of yesterdays trucks. The café is a family operations; grandpa, grandma, daughter and granddaughter is my guess. The old man is fussing with the paperwork as his granddaughter, Linda tells him about Peter, “He’s working out with weights. He just started. His deltoids are really sore today.” She comes up on weekends to help out. She is complaining about the reception on her cell phone. Next door is an hand painted sign: “Ozark Woodcraft for Sale”.

The Crows were skilled horse thieves and stole from everybody, including each other. They claimed never to have killed a white man except in self-defense. They explained to one trader that if they killed white men there would be fewer to rob – Ian Frazier – Great Plains, 1989 p52

This is the time in which it is
            Not so hard to do anything
So long as obscurity is not
            The obstacle
No it is not a hard time – No
            Harder than a hard-boiled
Egg
            Two minutes at the
                         Most

Chasing and unnamable dream, / Unclassifiable, the dream of our youth, / Which is to  say the bravest of all / Our dreams – Roberto Bolano – The Romantic Dogs, 2006  p121

I hate this process (not so much hate it as fear it) of inventing, creating this world – such a responsibility – but I will not have it any other way.

You constitute yourself in fantasy, as a ‘writer’ or worse still: you ‘constitute yourself’ – Roland Barthes by Roland Barthes, 1977s p82

His teeth are tobacco stained. He sis on the curb in front of the Citgo Station. He wants to tell me his story. I give him five minutes. He is from Marshall. Wanted to know if I knew were that was. I told him that I did. Said he’d didn’t have a driver’s license even though he’d passed the test on the first try (I’m sure there’s more to the story), not that he didn’t know where it was (it had probably been revoked, that would be my guess). He’d been down here for two years now, living with his grandmother. He came down here because there was too much trouble in big cites (meaning …). But in these small towns you can’t hide and everyone’s into your business, I said. His five minutes are up. I’m not very curious. I pay for my gas. Don’t ask – don’t tell. Have a great day, I say as I drive off. It takes time and patience to draw out the good (interesting) stories. I could have made the time but I didn’t have the patience.

O little squeeze shoes / on the pinchy tiptoe, / how long is the run through the tick-tack dark – James Broughton – Special Deliveries, 1989  p7

I played good cop bad cop
If you park there the ranger
            Will cite you.
Oh thank you, thank you
            I didn’t know
Later I just blamed the           
            Agency
The [unnamed agency] requests
            That you not park
            On the grass
Fuck you! Are you some
            Type of ranger, dude?

People react to fear, not love; they don’t teach that in Sunday school, but it’s true – Richard M Nixon, 1990

I’m drinking cheap wine and I’m listening to feminist radio on a community station - women’s issues – women’s voices – brought to you by some pet communicator – intitutive findings - readings to guide your relationship with your cat - searching desperate for sponsorships. Feminist radio – community broadcasting.

Runaway thought, I wanted to write it; instead I wrote that it has run away – Pascal

The library and the brewery
A beer and a book
The bear and the bull
Then to the apothecary
And well
            If only…
Haven’t seen you
            In
Here before
            Now
Don’t go often
            This far
            North
With the other refugees
And now
            I’m one too
Never thought
            It’d come to
            This

And if I plan to leave / a mark / I leave so little / - mark that means a thing / as any - / less than a pisshole in the snow – Theodore Enslin – Then and Now – 1999 p186

Hugh Hefner reportedly paid $85,000 to reserve a crypt next to Marilyn Monroe’s. Jump them bones Hughie. Bones rattling in the dark when the moon is new.

Your conclusions are only as sound as your premises – Michael Shermer – The Believing Brain, 2011 p23

No comments: