Saturday, July 7, 2012

JENNIFER TAKES A SHOWER




Another Friday night – three parties tonight here in the campgrounds. But the two gay dudes couldn’t get their tent set up and left. The guys with the guitar left before ten. That only left the group throwing the hatchets but they quieted down around midnight and left early the next morning. I picked off at least thirty ticks today, not including the ones that Trail Dog brought to bed with him. Someone had trapped a raccoon and brought it out here to let loose. The first thing that it did was to attack Trail Dog. Mister, mister, a big raccoon is attacking your dog. I feared the worst. Poor little guy. I ran as fast as my flip-flops would let me go - flap, flap, flap. He was ok – he’d chased of the critter off and was prancing about. He doesn’t know enough woodcraft to keep out of harms way. I’m always expecting him to get bitten by a snake when he has his nose in the leaves poking about. He is beginning to lose his curosity of turtles – they refuse to play, clam up and hid away

But all the world’s ones come out by two / for a four-legged waltz of whom and who – James Broughton – Special Deliveries, 1989  p34

It rained last night – lovers are at it; out early. They are in their mid-thirties. Mid-live liaisons – breakfast from brown-paper bags in the park. Of the modern conveniences, electricity is the best. But then it’s not really a convenience in itself is it? It is plastic. It’s what you can do with your life. My advice Benjamin is plastics. Get into plastics.

There I was: Sentencing myself to death / by red ants and also / by black ants, traveling through empty villages: / fear that grew / until it reached the stars – Roberto Bolano – The Romantic Dogs, 2006  p41

Youth is focused on style
Age shifts it to content
            Time is running out
            For any meaning

A love brief as the sigh of a guillotined head, / The head of a King or a Breton count, / Brief like beauty, / Absolute beauty – Roberto Bolano – The Romantic Dogs, 2006 p37

Some coonass hunters running dogs show up as it gets dark. This is the first night that it was warm enough to sleep without wearing longjohns. When I have to get up in the middle of the night – unzip the bag and crawl out into the dark wearing only my boxers – I don’t freeze my ass off. For the fist time since leaving home I have a fellow camper. No they are just letting their dogs out to let them run. Though there were hounds barking down along the river last night, there is no one here in the campground this morning. The stars had come out big and bright. The sun is up now and I can no longer see my breath. The fire is banked and dying. I am packed and ready to head out. Eighty per-cent of campground fees goes to improvements and towards maintenance – hell, that’s a much better return on your investment than most charities.

One is taken hostage, if not to say prisoner, by space – Durs Grunbein – Bars of Atlantis, 2010  p196

In the heart of bohemia I write
Thinking of Spicer, Snyder or Rexroth
Here where they crisscrossed
Their aura is still here – this is bohemia
The Beat exhaled the word and puncturated it with jazz
And they did it right here on Columbus
Yes this is bohemia but the beat is gone
            Pasty men in berumuda shorts
            Checking out the sex clubs
Get frightened by Bush Man
            Down at the Wharf
            Take a photograph
‘X’ marks the spot

If small babies possessed the physical strength and co-ordination of adolescents we should indeed live in a destructive world – Anthony Storr – Human Destructiveness, 1972

Oh shit, I’m having transmission problems – its slipping badly. I check the fluid. It is low. There are several different types of transmission fluid. The wrong one will cause even more problems. The correct type was embossed on the end of the dip-stick. The manual says to drive for twenty miles and leave the engine running while parked on level ground. I couldn’t find the fill point. I asked someone. He said that its usually the same as the measurement point. How do you get it in that tiny hole. I go to Wal-Mart and buy a turkey baster. I get about half a quart it. You don’t want to overfill it as that will also cause problems according to the manual. It drives better now. There is no skipping now. Woo, I hadn’t budgeted for the replacement of a transmission after having just bought the vehicle. The next time I might not be so lucky (and I wasn’t and it happened on the some far off Montana mountain).

The things which are usually one way, / can as will be / another - / as if one took / something from one pocket, / put it in another,     and / said nothing about it – Theodore Enslin – Then and Now – 1999 p71

It means something
            Else – in South America
            The Disappeared
September 11, but on
            Second thought
            Maybe not
It always been the
            Same – the Return
Of the dictators
The fear – the need to
            Restore order
Gets translated into
             A nightmare
A restoration of order
            Violence as a means
                        To an end
No end is in site
            Violence is extended
            Across generations
Always the same
            In the name
Of security and well being
Its official – Its in the rules
            Your not allowed
            To hit back

There is sadness / and desperate / hatred / In the close-in / of winter / it becomes / unbearable – Theodore Enslin – Then and Now – 1999 p52

Both stupidity and beauty are in the eye of the beholder.

You think OWS is radical? You think 350.org was radical…? We’re not radical. Radicals work for oil companies. The CEO of Exxon gets up every morning and goes to work changing the chemical composition of the atmosphere. No one has ever done anything as radical as that, not in all of human history… Corporate power has occupied the atmosphere – Bill McKibben – CommonDreams.org

For everything new that can be said, is there something old that can no longer be told?

Lights at the far side / punctuate / a coast / line / Those who live there / separated / from me – Theodore Enslin – Then and Now – 1999 p108

She sighed and heaved her chest
As  she said “Happy Thanksgiving”
            I know how she feels
This is the beginning of my darkness too
After solstice I begin to count backwards
                        [the days]
Until  I’m back to today
And then I give my thanks
And know that the sun shall rise
            On this wintery drearyness
And I replied, “And you have
A great Thanksgiving to”
But the turning is a long way away
            And I’m already in a bad way

The dead / stay with the living, / much as cut corn stalks, half-burried in / turned / wet soil – Theodore Enslin – Then and Now – 1999 p122

All geniuses are innovators of expressiveness

All the hideous new condominiums are made from the same stuff as the indifferent dreams of their occupants – Durs Grunbein – Bars of Atlantis, 2010  p198

No comments: