Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Get Around on the Round About





Music – From the sound system - at present the call and response of a bickering couple. The response is a falsetto: “I love the way you bark.” “I love to do the dog (the falsetto part). The bartender was doing his inventory. Then he gets a ladder and begins to clean the tall mirror behind the bar. I like it in the afternoon when it gets hot outside. It’s cool and dark in here. I’m the only customer and that’s fine with me. He has taken down all the bottles in the racks against the mirror. He whips each one carefully before putting it back. “How often do you have to wipe”, I ask. “I do it once a week. Those down there,” he pointed to the ones below the mirror, “have to be done twice a week. They are more popular.” “They get more fingerprints,” I remark. “Yeah, but we also go through them faster,” he replies. There is a country song playing now: “Sometimes I get mad when people treat me bad… pretty girl to love me with the last same name. When the flowers wilt a big old quilt to keep you warm…” There’s a whining bit of guitar. “…I’ve got the sun to see your blues eyes and tonight you’re in my arms.” There’s a big TV screen above the pool table. On it  are Nazi soldiers in black and white. They are at the mercy of some GI Joes. The Nazis are nasty,  but the big ol’ GI gallookis are merciful of course – the brown things. I go back out into the sun having finishing my pint. I like to ask questions. There is a French laundry two doors down. I ask the Chinese lady behind the counter, “What’s a ‘French laundry’”? “It’s just the name.” she says. I had been in the Elbow Room. It was just a bar just up the way where you can bend your elbow. I had been in there almost an hour and the only other person who came in had come in to drop off a resume. The bartender looked it over. “I’ll make sure it gets passed on”, he had said. When I left a Ska tune had been playing.

What a toe stubbing big rock
            It is that God can’t lift
And then I was told
            It’s all just
Part of God’s plan
            I’m awe struck
I truly am
            And my toe still hurts too

The clouds are moving across the sky faster than I could ever run. One has to get good at what one does. Then that skill is no longer needed. I was good at asking questions, but everyone wants answers now. No one wants to answer questions anymore. As dusk approaches the clouds travel faster and faster. They are racing faster and faster. They become blurs passing the moon traveling at the speed of sound. I listen to my footfall. I try not to trip and fall. Once it did not bother me at all. If I fell I just got up and dusted myself off. Now I worry about breaking a bone. It’s the beginning of the end.

Tourists have space but no time
            A re-creation palace
A collection of people without
            Content but with strong connections
Give them a context
            Send them back in time
Clowns are people with content
            But without any connection
Give them some time without
            Any space

In a state of extraterritoriality:
Aliens, refugees, soldiers, sailors
Airline stewardesses, sex workers
Prisoners, winos, the homeless
The uninsured, pedestrians
Bureaucrats, shoe salesmen
And don’t forget the tourists
            And the clowns

The tourists are waiting
            For the show to begin
The clowns are waiting
            To be shown were to stand
It’s all dramaturgy, you know

Stupidity… testify(s) to a thinking that is not that of representation so much as production, mutations and creation – Clair Colebrook – Giles Deleuze, 2002 p15

The worst place to be poor is the best place to be rich

Walter has found some Betty Boop fabric. He thinks it would be great if we all had Betty Boop Hawaiian shirts. We would all wear Betty Boop Hawaiian shirts when we come in here to the coffee shop in the morning.  A row of old geezers along the back wall all wearing Betty Boop Hawaiian shirt. I  fancy the idea. He has a plan. “I will take one of my old shirt apart and use it as a pattern”, he says. He says that he can borrow Mrs. Boyd’s sewing machine. But button holes have him stymied. He doesn’t know how to do button holes.

I suggest that he get Michael to make them. “He still owes you big time,” I remind Walter. I forget what Michael owed Walter big time for. I think it might have been something that Walter made for Michale’s hand crafted soup enterprise. We all got to help him with ideas for names of his different lines of soap. Some woman up in Washington was importing a soap from Japan called “Fish Off”. It was for removing the odor of fish from your hands, he explained. What about ‘Queer Off’ for washing doo-doo off your do dah. He didn’t care for that at all. Each soap was to have a different blend of essential oils. Jennie was helping with the logo and the packaging. He didn’t like any of my suggestions.

“Does he sew?” Walter asks.

“Oh, yes. Big time”

He runs the idea past Linda. “Oh, no,” she says. “Get a pattern from Britext.” I was all for that. I knew that any shirt of Walter’s was going to be too little for me and too big for Linda. And way too big for the ‘Little People’. Linda even volunteered to cut the fabric and do the button holes.

Walter had been complaining that he had too much time on his hands and yet I doubted that he’d carry through with his project. I stopped by Britext and bought the pattern. Now he has no excuse. “Do you have enough material to do Betty Boop Hawaiian shirts for the ‘Little People”,  I asked.

“How many of them are there,” he wanted to know.

“Oh, their numbers increase and their numbers decrease, but there is never just one”, I told him. “They would need at least a couple. If they need more they can make them themselves.”

“Do they have the of Betty Boop fabric,” Walter asked: “And can they sew?

“Have you ever met a ‘Little Person’ who could not sew or at least cobble shoes,” I asked him?

“No, but then I’ve never actually ever really met a ‘Little Person’.

Anyway Walter has the sewing machine and he has the pattern and he has the fabic and he has friends with all the know how that he needs.  And he has plenty of time. Still there are no Betty Boop shirts. And the ‘Little People’ had said that they would help too. They even said they could make as much Betty Boop fabric as we could possibly use.

“Can you make it out of rayon,” I asked. I preferred rayon to silk. Walter’s Betty Poop fabric was mere cotton.

“Any thing you want,” they said (I always say ‘they’ because there is never just one).

“Can you spin it out of gold?”

“If you supply enough straw.”

“How much is enough,” I asked? Meaning by that how much straw would they need. I guess that depended on how much gold I wanted them to spin. I had a vision. The Little People don’t like it when you get greedy.

First it’s an apprenticeship
Then it is time for servitude
And lastly stewardship
It takes a long time
            To become a dignitary

Twenty years learning
Twenty years conforming
Twenty years expounding
It took a long time
            And now it has been
                        Accomplished
Twenty years to go
            The consequence of
                        Getting old
The difference in longevity
            And the failure to
                        Conceive of a new role
For those of us who have gotten old
            And wouldn’t it have been better
                        Spending a lifetime exploring

There is a lot of forgiveness in a little salt and pepper

The average age of an American farmer is 58.3. A third of all US farmers are older that 65.

No comments: