Tuesday, January 27, 2009

January 27, 2009 - Caribou Coffee, Homewood Illinois




I've already settled into a routine - first to the Caribou, then to the library and then to finish the day off I am off to the Flossmoor Station. There is some variation - I alternate between the Homewood and Flossmoor libraries.


The Caribou (Da Bou as Chet calls it) is second only to Starbucks in number of company operated coffehouses (500 and 3,600) but half of their operations are in Minnesota and second is Illinois with 67 stores. 43% of the coffeehouse in the US are chain operations (more than three locations). When Caribou becomes ubiquitous I shall cease coming here too. And if you are to find the Universal Spider Starbucks would be a good place to look.



And last night I went to let Wrigley in the back door and she came in as sat on her haunches and waited for the command to proceed up the three steps up into the kitchen/dining area but I had forgotten the command - it was a simple word, that I knew, but I could not remember what word it was. . It's OK if you happen to forget some one's name (well not exactly OK but it happens) or mabe  you've forgotte a vocabulary term (the name of something - say the cardboard spool in the center of a roll of toilet paper) that OK too; but this was just a simple command and all I could think to say was 'go' and that was not it. I hope this is not an omen of things to come. Finally I waved by hand and said 'go' and she went. It turns out that a hand motion is taught along with the word command and either one works. I could now shut the door and it was cold outside but I still could not remember that word. This morning Ila let Wriggly in and Wriggle sat and Ila said 'release'. Yes, that's it 'release' and why could I not remember that simple world last night?

I got a new computer - an IBM X60 with tablet. I am still learning. I can mostly hit the right keys but have yet to begin playing with the pen. And with this tiny screen I shall need to get new glasses too. Oh well, every technology has its own challenges and its own creative opportunities.


The end result truly
Reflects the work only
When the work itself
Cannot be seen

If much effort is on view
Then the result is the effort
And sometimes that is what
Was desired. The result
Is the effort itself - oh, adulation


The need of human beings to transcend "the person" is no less profound then the need to be a person, an individual. But this society serves that need poorly - Susan Sontag

No comments: